Our Head Chef Chris, is passionate about cooking delicious seasonal dishes at The Stag, using some top-secret ingredients and techniques passed down from generations of family members. However, one recipe he is more than willing to share is his breast of pheasant with caramelised apples and a hint of curry.
“I love a great game dish, and this one is just perfect for this time of the year” says Chris.
He encourages you to give it a try and impress your guests over the festive season.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 4 pheasant breasts
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 3 dessert apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 40g sugar
- 40g unsalted butter
- 2 tsp oil
- 50ml dry white wine
- 175ml curry sauce
- 85ml double cream
- 4 tomatoes, skinned, seeded and diced
- 4 sprigs fresh dill
- Melt 25g of butter, add the apples and fry over high heat for 1 minute, tossing frequently
- Add the sugar and fry, tossing the apples occasionally, until they are an evenly golden brown
- Season the pheasant breasts
- Heat the oil in another pan, add the remaining butter and, once sizzling, place the breasts skin side down into the pan
- Cook over a low heat for about 3 minutes on each side. Be careful not to over cook them – pheasant is best left slightly pink as it dries out very quickly
- Remove the breasts from the pan and keep warm
- Pour off the fat from the pan, add the white wine and reduce until almost gone
- Add the curry sauce and bring to the boil
- Once boiling, add the cream and reduce slightly
Enjoy with friends, over a bottle of red wine.
Try Chris’ delicious dishes for yourself; book online to enjoy a meal at The Stag on the River.